EWAS project objectives include:
1. Evaluate EU policy and legislation (Waste Framework Directive) options and opportunities related to waste management collection practices.
2. Contribute on mobilising ICTs to facilitate the transition to an energy-efficient, low-carbon economy waste management methodologies. The overall aim is to contribute with the EU objectives in relation to GHG reduction for 2020 in the waste management sector.
3. Develop appropriate environmental assessment, implementation and monitoring activities related to different waste collection methodologies and the respective benefits to improve current waste management practices.
- Improvement of people’s quality of life
- Reduce environmental impact comparing with current methodologies
- Increase waste recycling level and citizens’ cooperation
- Reduce investment and operational costs, noise and traffic problems
4. Demonstrate the optimization of waste management practices (Local Action Plans) through the implementation of the EWAS model at a local and sectoral level.
5. Increase the awareness of new waste collection methodologies, provide training and disseminate information for the active participation of local stakeholders.
6. The final objective of EWAS is to create, implement and demonstrate the impact and increased sustainability of waste collection methodologies by using innovative ICT solution at the same time as it raise awareness about recycling, saves costs and reduces GHG emissions in compliance with the EU 2020 goals.